Traffic accidents cause more than one million deaths a year worldwide, and are considered one of the main causes of mortality among people between 15 and 19 years old.
As hopeless as these statistics are, there is good news: most road accidents can be prevented.
From police reports, we know that 80% of road accidents are caused by the driver; 7% by car problems, 9% by natural agents, and 4% by the road. It means at least 8 out of 10 accidents could have been prevented.
The most frequent causes of fatal car accidents in Texas include:
- Failure to control speed: 33,157 accidents
- Driver inattention: 17,920 accidents
- Driving at a dangerous speed: 15,305
- Not driving in a single lane: 11,795
- Wild animals on the road: 8,087 accidents
- Defective evasive action: 7,183 accidents
- Unsafe lane changes: 6,541 accidents
- Failure to yield at a stop sign: 6,074 accidents
- Failed to yield during a left turn: 5,639 accidents
- Drunk driving: 986 accidents
- Drowsy driving: 4,970 accidents
Each year, more than 3,600 people are killed in traffic accidents in Texas, and approximately one-third of those deaths were occupants of passenger vehicles.
Car accident victims have the right to file a claim for damages against who they believe is responsible for the accident. However, before any compensation is awarded, the accident victim must show that the named defendant breached a duty of care owed to the accident victim and that this breach resulted in his/her injury.
This information can be alarming, but there are specialists in these matters, and they know what it takes to be successful by representing their clients.
At the Law Office of Monica Herrera, WE KNOW this matter in-depth and can assist you in these situations.